[Samba] NIS/Samba probs

Scott Ehrlich scott at MIT.EDU
Tue Aug 28 22:57:06 GMT 2007

I'm trying to configure two things on my RH 5 server with dual-boot CentOS 5
(out-of-box) and Windows XP w/SP2 (fully patched) clients:

- NIS/NFS:  I have managed to get user logins, but all accounts produce Can't
Find Home Directory, Using Root!    The error logs, when trying to mount any
NFS directory, is the server claims permission denied.   I've reviewed many web
pages and reviewed my config files carefully.  Just a matter of finding the
winning config.   Firewall and SELinux are disabled, and the machines have been
rebooted many times.

- Samba: Ideally, I think if I can get NIS/NFS working fine, it would make
sense that when Windows users log in (I've gotten samba to permit the XP
systems to be added to samba with samba acting as the PDC), they log into their
UNIX accounts.  But, upon attempted login, Windows produces the famed small
alert window saying Roaming Profiles cannot be located, Windows is creating a
temporary environment that will not be saved upon logout.

What is the magical Samba config/line to permit Samba/domain logins to read
from the server's UNIX side and give the Windows domain user their UNIX home
directory for login, and have their UNIX home directory as a mapped drive
(effectively their roaming profile)?

Thanks.

Scott