[Samba] winbind and force user

jhall at vandaliamo.net jhall at vandaliamo.net
Mon Aug 27 22:07:46 GMT 2007

I have winbind up and running and changed all of my users from the Windows
2003 server to the SAMBA server over the weekend, and no-one noticed.

I have run into a problem with force user, and it may just be my
understanding of how the paramter works.  Following is my configuration
for the share.

[Barbara.Slevin]
        comment = Barbaba Slevin's Home Directory
        browseable = No
        valid users = mo+barbara.slevin,mo+jay.hall
        force user = mo+barbara.slevin
        create mode = 0770
        directory mode = 0770
        writeable = Yes

I am logged in as jay.hall.  With the force user statement in the
configuration, I receive a message stating, "The specified network name is
no longer available."  This happens whether the force user name is in
quotes or not.  If I remove the force user statement from the share, I am
able to connect to the share without any problems.

Can I use the force user statement to map to a Windows 2003 user id (e.g.
mo+barbara.slevin)?  In reading the smb.conf documentation, I got the
impression, it must map to a user id on the local system.  If this is not
the case, any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay