[Samba] winbind (I think) problems

herald at zianet.com herald at zianet.com
Sun Aug 26 23:38:04 GMT 2007

OK I'm running on a Dell 1950 supporting Ubuntu LTS 6.0.1.  I've tried to
set up the Kerberos/ADS/Samba installation with the Ubuntu server as a
member server on a 2003 ADS Domain.

Kerberos v5
Samba v 3.0.22

Originally, I would have been writing to find out why my samba shares are
accessible for about 30 minutes, and then they magically aren't found when
trying to access them.

Now however, I've screwed things up so bad, I don't really know what's going
on.  Here's the symptoms:

I can successfully install and configure Samba and Kerberos.  I can
successfully issue a kinit and receive a ticket for a user with an account
on the ADS.  I can successfully run wbinfo -u and list all users.  I can
successfully run wbinfo -p and ping the winbind daemon.

When I try to run getent
$ passwd "domain\username"

All I receive is a prompt ($)

I don't see any errors, I don't see any output, just a prompt comes up.
This happens as well with groups.

I've placed the winbind reference in nsswitch.conf, I've run 'ldconfig',
I've verified FQDN in my /etc/hosts file, I haven't configured PAM yet, but
I don't believe that would have any bearing on anything unless I'm trying to
initiate an interactive login via ADS credentials....I've uninstalled and
reinstalled all packages and configuration files, but I really am lost at
this point.  My next step is to start all over again, but I really don't
want to do that because this server is also hosting the Windows AD
controller via vmware, and I really don't want to have to rebuild the entire
domain again.  Please help!!