[Samba] RE: migrating samba to new hardware and different OS

Julian Pilfold-Bagwell jools at oss4all.plus.com
Sun Aug 26 14:37:04 GMT 2007

Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 26, 2007 at 03:12:30PM +0200, Andrew Jeremy Gargan wrote:
>

>> write list = @agroup, auser, another user
>>

> Fedora bug. Change the @ to +.
>
> Volker

Hiya,

It's not just a Fedora bug it's a change in the way that Samba handles
permissions.

If you check the release notes you'll find that instead of @"Domain
Admins" for example, you now use a + and, in certain circumstances, the
NT domain name. The example above would therefore go from @"Domain
Admins" to +"DOMAIN\Domain Admins"  and a user e.g. fred goes from fred
to DOMAIN\fred.

Substitute DOMAIN for your actual NT domain obviously but you should
find this cures all the ills. I was caught out by this one so I make
sure I always read the release notes before upgrading now. BTW, I think
the change occured around version 3.0.8.

Cheers,

Jools