[Samba] Linux Kernel VESA Video Modes for 1440x900

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat Aug 25 20:43:51 GMT 2007

Jan, List:

   Is there any way we can compile a kernel to include the VESA Video
Modes for 1440x900 resolution so that we can pass grub VGA=867 for
1440x900. This will all me to work in runlevel 3 without the screen
resolution being stretched from 1024x768 to 1440x900. The stretch causes
everything to be distorted. The necessary VESA modes and numbers are:

            1440x900
           (dec; hex)
           ----------
16 color     --; --
256 color  (864; 0x360)
15 bit     (865; 0x361)
16 bit     (866; 0x362)
24 bit     (867; 0x363)
32 bit     (868; 0x364)

    There is also the new widescreen resolution of 1600x1050, but I do
not have the vesa modes for that resolution. I would like to learn how
to do this, or if this is something that has to be done by the kernel
folks, I would ask that they consider including this capability in the
future kernels.

    The sources for the information contained in this document were:

 o  /usr/src/linux-2.6.22.3-ccj53/Documentation/i386/boot.txt
 o  /usr/src/linux-2.6.22.3-ccj53/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
 o  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_BIOS_Extensions

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC