[Samba] Samba 3.0.25c Going Nuts on our Network???

David Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Fri Aug 24 21:07:50 GMT 2007

POSTED TO THE LIST W/O ATTACHMENTS
--------

Jerry,

	I am sending this to you directly because it contains the tcpdump
information in addition to the samba logs just in case there is sensitive
information contained in the files.

	What is happening is that samba 3.0.25c, after first running
smoothly, is becoming very "chatty" across our LAN. I don't know why, but
with no files or applications open, smb is throwing about 4-5 packets a
second at each windows XP client. This was causing noticeable network
slowness. It is definitely 3.0.25c because after I grabbed the packets and
the logs, I did a make revert to 3.0.25 and the noise on the network
completely stopped. It seems like there is a race condition somewhere. I may
need to send you a level 10, but when this occurred, I didn't have level 10
set so I just grabbed a tcpdump of the traffic and the log files I had.

	I will switch back to 3.0.25c this evening with level 10 set and see
if I can duplicate the problem. In the mean time here are the files.

David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC
510 Ochiltree Street
Nacogdoches, Texas 75961