[Samba] MacOsX client problem

Tim Cairnes tpc at tcsys.co.uk
Fri Aug 24 08:49:40 GMT 2007

I have an issue with Macos 10.4 clients accessing a linux (CentOS 5)
Samba server - this is a users description of the problem :-

>I log on to the public area on the server.
>Then I create a folder in the root called
'thisisafolderwithaverylongname'.
>Then I enter this folder and create a folder in it called
'thisisasubfolderwithinthenamedfolder', and another one called
>'andthisisjustanothersubfolder'.
>After this I will not be able to enter
'thisisasubfolderwithinthenamedfolder', because when I click it, it's
name changes to '>andthisisjustanothersubfolder'. So both folders will
be called the same.
>If at this point I look at the folders from a WinXP, they come up
normally. Also, I cannot reproduce the problem on a WinXP.
>I cannot delete the containing folder on the mac, because it says that
it is being used. If I put the server away, and open it up again, all
the folders >come up and work correctly.

smbstatus reports the version as  3.0.23c-2.el5.2.0.2

the public share looks like this in smb.conf:-

[public]
        comment = Public Share
        path = /home/site/public
        force user = shareuser
        force group = allusers
        read only = No

I could not find anything in the samba archives, linux, XP and Win2k
clients all work properly
                         Regards
                               Tim

--