[Samba] Prevent 'BDC' overtaking 'PDC'

Fajar Priyanto fajarpri at cbn.net.id
Fri Aug 24 06:44:11 GMT 2007

Hello all,
I have 2 PC setup as PDC and BDC (both Centos5, with samba 3.0.23c-2).
The problem is, quite often client logon to BDC instead of PDC. I tried to
tweak the OS level, but seems not affecting the problem.

My understanding is that BDC will only taking charge of client logons when PDC
is unavailable. Or is it that BDC will work hand-in-hand at the same time
with PDC regarding domain logon? (Just like W2K DC?)

I'm chatting in #samba IRC channel right now, and someone make a point by
telling me that IT IS BDC role to handle logon. But, my concern is regarding
roaming profiles. If we cannot predict in a consitent way into which server
the clients logon into, it means that there will be 2 instances of roaming
profiles (in PDC and BDC) and we won't be able to know which one holds the
latest copy of it. Am I right?

What is the proper way to setup this kind of PDC and BDC?

This is the relevant smb.conf:
PDC:
OS level = 33
domain master = yes
prefered master = yes
domain logon = yes

BDC:
OS level = 66
domain master = no
prefered master = no
domain logon = yes

Thank you so much for any clue/hints/directions,
http://linux2.arinet.org
13:36:26 up 2:10, 2.6.20-16-generic GNU/Linux