[Samba] Samba on Debian with shares on nfs-filesystem

Thomas Flaig thomas.flaig at unibw.de
Wed Aug 22 09:43:47 GMT 2007

Hello,
Am Dienstag, 21. August 2007 17:57 schrieb Volker Lendecke:
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 05:25:21PM +0200, Thomas Flaig wrote:
> > I would like to have some samba-shares on a nfs-filesystem.
> This is not supported.
Is this documented? Or better: Where is this documented?
I have not found hints to this limitation on the samba-webpage.
(I even did not find this limitation by searching for "inurl:samba.org
nfs" on googel or just ignored that result).

> You should install Samba on the NFS
> server, and possibly redirect your users using MS-DFS.
For the moment that would be a solution. Acctualy nfs is running on an
rather old (and slow) linux server, there I could install (and configure)
samba.

But this server was only reactivated because of some problems with our
NAS.
The NAS crashed several times when we used samba and nfs (nfs3) at the
same time. Acctually we do not knowwhy it crashed, but it seems safer to
use only nfs (x)or smb.

> One potential workaround (no guarantees!) is to say "posix
> locking = no" on the relevant shares.
Here this did not solve the problem (neither with nfs3 nor with nfs4). :(
But on the web there are many reports where this was the solution.

Thomas
--
Thomas Flaig
mailto: thomas.flaig at unibw.de