[Samba] Samba on Debian with shares on nfs-filesystem

Bernd Schubert bs at q-leap.de
Tue Aug 21 16:31:52 GMT 2007

Hello Volker,

On Tuesday 21 August 2007 17:57:16 Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 05:25:21PM +0200, Thomas Flaig wrote:
> > I would like to have some samba-shares on a nfs-filesystem.
>
> This is not supported. You should install Samba on the NFS
> server, and possibly redirect your users using MS-DFS.
>
> One potential workaround (no guarantees!) is to say "posix
> locking = no" on the relevant shares.

can you give more insights why it doesn't work?

In my previous group at university users can call vmware to get windows
running on their linux desktops. Samba is used to provide roaming profiles
and access to the users home directory. The hole setup is a bit tricky, but
samba works as full domain controller, but is started as a user process as
the user who also runs vmware. So no root rights, etc.
This also makes it impossible to run samba on the server, but smbd MUST be run
on this very client system to serve the nfs share.

On debian Sarge samba-3.0.22 worked fine, also with "posix locking = no", on
Etch windows has problems to store cached data on the end of the session
unless "posix locking = no" is set.
So far we never understood what makes the difference. Samba is still the same
version, and kernel is also still the same customized 2.6.20. Only the libc
and other libraries did change.

Thanks,
Bernd

--