[Samba] Samba on Debian with shares on nfs-filesystem

Thomas Flaig thomas.flaig at unibw.de
Tue Aug 21 15:25:21 GMT 2007

Hello,

Actually I have some troubels concerning samba (3.0.24) on debian (4.0):

I would like to have some samba-shares on a nfs-filesystem.

NFS works fine for the Linux clients and the Linux server. The nfs
filesystem is mounted from an other server on /home.

The next step is to set up samba to have some shares on the nfs Filesystem
(/home/$LOGIN, anonymized configuration attached).
Connecting to the samba shares works for Linux and Windows clients fine.
Downloading files also does fine.
Copying files from the local filesystem to the samba-shares works fine for
Linux-clients (via smb!), but not for Windows clients:
Copying files from Windows 2k to the samba share results in the following
error message:

foo kann nicht kopiert werden: Der Prozess kann nicht auf die Datei
zugreifen, da ein anderer Prozess einen Teil der Datei gesperrt hat.
(In english something like:
Can't copy foo: process cannot acces the file as some other file is
locking a part of the file.)

But there is no other process accessing this file.

Applications can "save" their files to the samba shares. These files have
the filesized as wished by the windows-application but are filled with
zeros.

According to http://www.debianforum.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=83647 I am
not alone with this problem. Further:
The member of that forum wrote that he had compiled several samba verisons
by himself on debian 4.0/etch:
The problem did not occur with samba 3.0.22 and 3.0.23. But the problem
occured also on the "self-compiled" samba 3.0.24.

He also compiled several versions of samba on debian 3.1/sarge:
There the problem did not occour with any version of samba.

I have tried to have these samba-shares on nfs3 and nfs4 filesystems. The
choice of nfs3 or nfs4 doesn't affect the problem.

So my question is how it is possible to use samba on debian 4.0 in such a
configuration.
I would prefer to use official debian packages or the packges from the
samba.org-webpage (but at the moment there are no Debianpackages for
Debian 4.0 on the samba Webpage).
I could compile samba by myself, but I would prefer some other solution.

Thanks and best regards
Thomas