[Samba] Samba + LDAP + displayName attribute

Didster didster at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 14:09:55 GMT 2007

Hi All,

I have a rather strange, if not critical, issue with samba as a NT4
domain controller.

We have samba [version 3.0.24] set up as a PDC using LDAP as a
backend.  Each account was created using the IDEALX scripts, has a
displayName set to a users full name, say Joe Bloggs.  The actual UID
of the account is different, say bloggsjoe.

When signing into Window XP, everything works fine.  Clicking on the
start menu shows whatever is set in displayName at the top as the
persons name.

However, after an as yet undetermined amount of time [about 20 mins],
it switches to displaying the UID.  So at the top of the start menu it
will say "Joe Bloggs" for 20 minutes [ish], then switch to showing
"bloggsjoe"

Just wondering if anyone knows what is causing this?  I know it's not
critical, XP is still enable to authenticate after this amount of
time, but there could be other things going on that are not so
visible.

Thanks in advance.