[Samba] Files in mounted share vanish

sbrown sbrown at taz.qinetiq.com
Tue Aug 21 12:24:16 GMT 2007

Hi list,

On a share (Windows 2003 3790/5.2) mounted with smbmount v3.0.24 and
smbfs 2.6.18-5-686, suddenly I'm seeing lots of

  "kernel: smb_proc_readdir_long: error=-2, breaking"

messages in syslog while, for instance, ls'ing a particular directory.

Here's the odd thing - if I do a couple of ls's quickly, the files
appear (there are 129 files and 2 subdirs). If I ls once every (say)
second, no files appear and the above error message is logged.

As far as I'm aware, nothing has changed either on the Windows server or
the Linux client. I've already upgraded to 3.0.24 (it was 3.0.22 originally)

No luck searching on the web. I tried grepping in the source, but didn't
find anything similar to the aboe line.

Any help appreciated!

--
Steve

The information contained in this E-Mail and any subsequent
correspondence is private and is intended solely for the intended
recipient(s).  The information in this communication may be
confidential and/or legally privileged.  Nothing in this e-mail is
intended to conclude a contract on behalf of QinetiQ or make QinetiQ
subject to any other legally binding commitments, unless the e-mail
contains an express statement to the contrary or incorporates a formal Purchase Order.

For those other than the recipient any disclosure, copying,
distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance
on such information is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Emails and other electronic communication with QinetiQ may be
monitored and recorded for business purposes including security, audit
and archival purposes.  Any response to this email indicates consent
to this.

Telephone calls to QinetiQ may be monitored or recorded for quality
control, security and other business purposes.

QinetiQ Limited
Registered in England & Wales: Company Number:3796233
Registered office: 85 Buckingham Gate, London SW1E 6PD, United Kingdom
Trading address: Cody Technology Park, Cody Building, Ively Road, Farnborough, Hampshire, GU14 0LX, United Kingdom
http://www.QinetiQ.com/home/legal.html