[Samba] Re: Log files created for every machine not joined to the domain...

Jean-Jacques Moulis jj at isy.liu.se
Tue Aug 21 09:54:14 GMT 2007

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 21:55:37 +0000 (UTC) Matt Anderson <sokkerstud_11 at hotmail.com> wrote:

MA> > Yes, It does. I assume they are all on same subnet? Are you using WINS?
MA> >
MA> > John
MA> Well, there are multiple subnets, but yes, the ones generating log files are all
MA> part of the same subnet.
MA> And no, we're not using WINS.  (At least I don't have anything specified for
MA> "wins server" and "wins support" is "no" in smb.conf).
MA> So, I'm not sure what's going on... thanks again for all of your quick replies!
MA> -Matt

Windows XP automatically searches the network for shares and printers upon connecting to the network.

To disable XP automatic discovery:

    * In Explorer, click Tools
    * Click Folder Options
    * Click the View tab,
    * Uncheck Automatically Search for Network Folders and Printers in Advanced settings list.

--
Jean-Jacques   Moulis                              Tel:  (013) 281684
ISY                                                Fax:  (013) 139282
Linköping University                            E-mail: jj at isy.liu.se
581 83 Linköping