[Samba] File locking issue

Bjoern Tore Sund bjorn.sund at it.uib.no
Tue Aug 21 06:16:50 GMT 2007

Yan Seiner wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> I posted this a couple of weeks ago and got no response.  My client is
> still stuck with this issue and I am quickly running out of ideas to try.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions?  This is a long-term customer
> and so far their server has provided outstanding service - until now.
>
> I have a client with an older server that is running into a weird file
> locking problem.
>
> The server is running FC2, samba 3.0.7 and kernel 2.6.10.

Both your Linux installation and your Samba server is way outdated, I
strongly recommend you get them upgraded.  A lot of bugfixes to Samba
have come and gone since 3.0.7, and it's been a long time since the last
patch to FC2.

This could well be your problem.

> They have recently installed AutoDesk Revit, which is apparently some
> sort of collaborative design software.  Revit keeps a central repository
> and then allows different clients to access it.
>
> What is happening is that only the person who created the file has
> read/write access to it - even after s/he closes the file.
>
> Here's a log from the workstation that creates the file.  From what I
> understand, the user 'johan' created the file and then tested read/write
> ability.

My apologies for starting simple.  You say the file is on the Data
share, where files are created 771.

1. Does 'ls -l Martini-central.rvt' on the linux side show what it should?
2. Are users johan and kevin both members of the same group, as they
need to be if they are trying to share a file with 771?

-BT
Bjørn Tore Sund       Phone: 555-84894   Email:   bjorn.sund at it.uib.no
IT department         VIP:   81724       Support: http://bs.uib.no
Univ. of Bergen

When in fear and when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.