[Samba] Log files created for every machine not joined to the domain...

Matt Anderson sokkerstud_11 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 20 20:02:39 GMT 2007

Hello Help,

I'm currently running Samba as a PDC (and several BDCs) on our network.  The
domain is currently in a testing stage and only has a small number (less than 5)
machines joined to it.  However, when I go to the /var/log/samba directory,
there seems to be a log file created for virtually every machine on our network.
 When I open a few of the log files, it looks like authentication attempts are
taking place--against both the local machine and the domain)... why is that?  Is
it normal for Samba to create log files for machines that aren't yet a part of
the domain?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

-Matt

(BTW - I have the line /var/log/samba/%m.log in my smb.conf file, so I would
expect log files to be created for each machine joined to the domain, but not
every machine on the entire network)