[Samba] samba3 upgrade misery

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Mon Aug 20 00:11:32 GMT 2007

Felipe Augusto van de Wiel wrote:
>> smbd is repeatedly spewing forth lists of socket options from print_socket_options:
> [...]
>
> 	What testparm tells you about your smb.conf parameters with
> regards to the socket options?

If I put my old line through testparm, it comes out as:

socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE=1 TCP_NODELAY=0 IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_BROADCAST=1

without complaint.

>>> 	What options did you tried? Can you post more details
>>> about your smb.conf?

Here's the global and printer sections of my smb.conf

[global]
         workgroup = UNIQUE
         netbios name = SAMBA
         interfaces = 192.168.1.103
         bind interfaces only = Yes
         passdb backend = tdbsam
         username map = /usr/local/etc/smb_usermap
         log file = /home/samba/samba3/var/log.%m
         time server = Yes
         socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE=1 TCP_NODELAY=0 IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_BROADCAST=1
         printcap name = cups
         logon script = timeset.bat
         logon path =
         logon home = "\\samba\%u"
         domain logons = Yes
         os level = 99
         preferred master = Yes
         domain master = Yes
         wins support = Yes
         kernel oplocks = No
         pid directory = /var/run
         socket address = 192.168.1.103
         idmap uid = 10000 - 20000
         idmap gid = 10000 - 20000
         hosts allow = 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0
         hosts deny = ALL
         printing = cups
         print command =
         lpq command = %p
         lprm command =
         oplocks = No
         level2 oplocks = No
[printers]
         path = /var/spool/samba
         guest ok = Yes
         printable = Yes
         use client driver = Yes
         browseable = No

>> With samba 2 I used the line:
>> socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_BROADCAST
>
> 	In recent version of Linux (2.6.x) it is the consensus
> on this list to drop some of the flags, I'm not so sure about
> Solaris kernel.

> 	The idea is that it allow multiple writes, should
> be faster and safer (because it uses internal locks).
>
> 		http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/TDB
>

> 	It also has nice backup tools to keep various
> different information about Samba and its network
> environment.

Great... so now my samba state files are faster and more reliable, whilst the
files samba is server are slower and prone to corruption.

>> Other than that, we just need to share files (and because of
>> some ridiculously old apps, printers).
>
> 	Nice, a standalone server would work great.

Well, if I had the time to remove every machine from the domain and work that
way, I'd love to... would sure save a lot of the stupidity when setting up new
machines.

As it is I don't have the time to be dealing with how broken samba 3 is
behaving, but I don't have a choice.

>> I read the migration docs on the web site, so if they're not
>> current, someone should make them so.
>
> 	Seems fair, do you have any links?

It'd be easier if someone would fix those damn menu links on the web site so
they don't change size when you click them.

Fortunately, it looks like I bookmarked the page.  Must have been a prick to
find in the first place, or I wouldn't have bothered:

http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/upgrades.html#id362605

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net