[Samba] changing a user's name.

Adam Williams awilliam at mdah.state.ms.us
Wed Aug 15 14:41:12 GMT 2007

I'm running Samba 3.0.24 on CentOS 5.0 w/ smbpasswd password database
and roaming profiles.  A user (running XP w/ SP2) recently got married
and has a new last name.  So, I need to change her username from bkearny
to btalbot.  In the past I've just changed their name in
/etc/samba/smbpasswd and moved /var/lib/samba/profiles/old_username to
new_username and changed ownership of the files (chown -R new_username
/var/lib/samba/profiles/new_username) and also done the same with their
net login script (change to new name and change ownership of it).  This
has caused problems when they get a new PC or format and reinstall of XP
on their existing PC.  The problems are what I think are registry
permission errors.  For instance, My Documents fold redirection doesn't
work (which is a change in the registry to their new folder location),
unable to change desktop settings, etc.  I think what is happing is that
HKEY_USERS is still owned by DOMAIN\old_username and I need to add full
control to DOMAIN\new_username before moving them to the new username
account.

Is my thinking correct and has anyone else had this problem?