[Samba] "winbind enum = yes" ... oreilly samba books says "turn off" ... but things break. confused :-(

Wilkinson, Alex alex.wilkinson at dsto.defence.gov.au
Wed Aug 15 10:23:30 GMT 2007

Hi all,

In the Oreilly "Using Samba" book pg 292 it is recommended to turn off
Winbindd(8) user and group enumeration (very expensive operation). However, when
doing this on FreeBSD -CURRENT the groups that users are in are not recognised.

When I enable user and group enumeration group permissions work (at least for
the first 16 groups) i.e. via chown(1).

So my  question is: From peoples' experience what do you do ? Turn "enum" on or
                    off ? And do you experience the same problem I do ? Or is
                    this just a FreeBSD issue ?

 -aW

IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Australian Defence Organisation and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the CRIMES ACT 1914.  If you have received this email in error, you are requested to contact the sender and delete the email.