[Samba] Re: oplock not working correctly

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 15:23:38 GMT 2007

On 8/13/07, vwdragon <vwdragon at poczta.fm> wrote:
> Hello..
>
> I've the same problem...
> dou you get solution?
>
> Iain:
> > I posted a problem with oplock previously, but am guessing it goto lost
> > in an earlier thread with the same subject line, so here goes another shot:
> >
> > Using Samba 3.0.22 on a Gentoo box (kernel 2.6.15) I've a situation
> > where file locking does not seem to be functioning as expected, in that
> > more than one user can open and write to a file without any
> > notifications being displayed about the file already being opened by
> > another user.
> >
> > In the debug output below I have two Windows XP clients accessing the
> > same shared file, neteng02 has the file open. neteng-vm3 then opens the
> > same file, receiving no warnings about the file being open by another
> > user. File is modified by neteng02 and saved and remains open. File then
> > modified by neteng-vm3 and saved. File closed and opened by neteng02 who
> > sees only modifications made by neteng-vm3.

Are these files MS office files? I ask that because of the way MS
opens files that it never writes to the file that it opens. It instead
creates a new file and writes to the new then deletes the old and
renames the new to the old. Although having said that I am not sure
how Office tells a file is in use...

John