[Samba] AD + winbindd(8): group permissions being ignored ? WTF ?

Wilkinson, Alex alex.wilkinson at dsto.defence.gov.au
Sun Aug 12 10:11:56 GMT 2007

Hi all,

I am successfully authenticating "FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #1: Wed Jul 25
17:31:15 WST 2007" against AD. Users can log in succesfully with home
directories being served via amd(8) and NFS. However, I have discovered
a potential "show-stopper" that will force me to abort this mission :(

The problem
-~-~-~-~-~-

In a nutshell: Simple group permissions set with chown(1) are not being honoured. e.g.

       #touch testing.txt
       #ls -l !$
       -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  0 Aug 12 17:49 testing
       #chmod 770 !$
       #ls -l testing.txt
       -rwxrwx---  1 root  wheel  0 Aug 12 17:49 testing.txt

       #chown root:"scis stl admins" testing.txt
       #ls -l !$
       ls -l testing.txt
       -rwxrwx---  1 root  scis stl admins  0 Aug 12 17:49 testing.txt
       #su - my_username
       my__shell>echo "this sux" > /var/tmp/testing.txt
       testing.txt: Permission denied.

And I KNOW 150% I am in the the group "scis stl admins".

The odd thing is, is that chown(1) allows me to give the file testing.txt group
memebership, but users in the actual group are not given these permissions.

I'm getting kinda desparate now. Have I missed something concetually ?
Any insights into this problem whatsoever will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

 -aW

IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Australian Defence Organisation and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the CRIMES ACT 1914.  If you have received this email in error, you are requested to contact the sender and delete the email.