[Samba] Disappearing samba ports

Dale Schroeder dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com
Fri Aug 10 19:54:36 GMT 2007

I have new install of Debian, primarily "testing" with some "stable".
The kernel is 2.6.21-2. I am having problems with a Samba (3.0.25b-1+b1,
3.0.25b-1) install. smb.conf is from a template I have used several
times previously (including 3.0.25b) with no problems. From Windows
Explorer, the shares will be slow to appear, with folders and files in
the right pane appearing and disappearing. After some time, the shares
will become completely inaccessible. In an attempt to correct, I
restarted both Samba processes, which not only did not help, but made worse.

The log files gave messages suggesting firewall problems, but there is
no firewall. NMAP showed both samba ports closed, but open again after a
reboot. A restart of Samba causes the ports to close again leading to
the error messages mentioned previously.

Samba is set up as a standalone server in a workgroup with security =
user, passdb backend = tdbsam.

After the initial install, I was able to upload printer drivers and did
not notice any speed problems.  Changes to the system since the initial
Samba install are the latest hplip (2.7.7) from sourceforge and an
iptables update from Debian.

I cannot determine from the logs if the problem is from Samba, such as
tdb corruption, or something else in the system. I would think that
ports should not spontaneously close.  I'm hoping someone can give me
their best guess as to where to look next.

Thanks,

Dale