[Samba] OK. there I am again!

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 19:03:31 GMT 2007

Although I have been very busy recently at work (I am working 14hr
days all week) I have not forgotten about the problems you were
having. I was thinking about emailing you Today to ask if you made
progress. Anyways, I am very happy that you stuck with this read the
docs and made some very good progress. I have no time to answer this
in its entirety but I will try some now and some this weekend if I
can.

On 8/10/07, joop gerritse <jjge at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Well, I read quite a few documents; thanks for pointing them out... And I
> got "it" working...
>
> The most important point I learned is P_a_t_i_e_n_c_e! You really have to wait
> a few minutes after having modified your smb.conf and restarted samba. And
> you have plenty of time to reboot your client, I am not sure whether you
> really need this, but anyway... it really takes quite some minutes before
> even the most limited changes have trickled through a (not really big)
> network.

If you are talking about network browsing. Yes this stuff takes a few
minutes minimum as packets are broadcast from clients and master
browsers listen for these broadcasts and create a list of the clients
that send packets.

> In general, I started removing lines from the "inherited" smb.conf, all lines
> of which I did not understand the purpose, and then restarting samba and the
> client, and see what happened.

This is good.

> I still have some questions, though...
>
> First of all: what is a domain name in Samba? I only saw a workgroup name as
> the parameter.
> Just to try, I changed it into something completely different,
> and after some time I saw it appear as a workgroup. But then I could also
> enter it as a domain name (on W98 stations, anyway), and I could really log
> in to it.
> Even though I now have a PDC on the domain LIEMERS-MUSEUM, and a BDC (without
> a PDC) on the domain LIEMERS2MUSEUM, it seems to work. So my conjecture for
> the moment is that the domain name equals the workgroup name. Right?

That is correct.

> Second: in my inherited smb.conf, I have a share [users]. I do not know what
> it is for, but if I comment it out, the workgroup LIEMERS2MUSEUM vanishes
> from the Workgroups in the network Environment. So I guess it serves some
> purpose but which one?

You do not need a users share or any shares for a machine to show up
in the browse lists.

> Third:
<snip>
Sorry that is too difficult to answer without taking a lot of time
which I do not have at the moment..

John