[Samba] Default User in netlogon trouble

Server Gremlin servergremlin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 20:55:07 GMT 2007

Hey Samba list,

    I have a Default User folder in the netlogon share on my samba PDC.
I am having a very difficult time getting users to use this as their
default profile.  I think my basic understanding of how this is supposed
to work might be flawed.

    My current understanding is as follows.  When a user logs onto a
domain for the first time Windows XP Pro SP2 machines first check the
netlogon share.  If they find a Default User folder there, then they
download that and use it as the user's baseline profile.  If they don't
find it there, then they look on the local system under C:\Documents and
Settings\Default User and create a profile for the user based on that
profile.  If they don't find a profile there, then there's nothing for
Windows to use and you get some crazy error message about not having a
profile to load.

    Windows uses *either* the Default User in the netlogon share or the
Default User in C:\Documents and Settings on the local machine.  It's
either or, it does NOT combine these two folders in any way to make the
baseline profile.  Is this accurate?

Thanks,
- SG