[Samba] Domain with public shares

samba-list samba-list at skolesys.dk
Wed Aug 8 18:16:17 GMT 2007

I have a samba server setup with security = user (NT-domain). I use
openldap for authentiation and that part is working fine. People can log in
and see the files they have permission to.
I need to have some public folders on the samba server that anybody can use
(also non domain users (ie. WinXP Home users that can't join a domain)).
And the printers should be public in the same way. Unfortunately this is
not happening as I was hoping.

Here is my smb.conf:

---------------------------------------
[global]
        workgroup = jaegergaarden
        netbios name = mainserver
        security = user
        enable privileges = yes
        server string = Samba Server %v
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        admin users=root smbadmin

        ldap passwd sync = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = "Changing password for*\nNew password*" %n\n "*Retype
new password*" %n\n"

        log level = 0
        syslog = 0
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 100000
        time server = Yes
        Unix charset = UTF8
        display charset = UTF8

        logon drive = P:
        logon home = \\mainserver\%U
        logon path = ""

        domain logons = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        os level = 65
        preferred master = Yes
        wins support = yes

        passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://127.0.0.1/
        ldap admin dn = cn=admin,dc=jaegergaarden,dc=skolesys,dc=org
        ldap suffix = dc=jaegergaarden,dc=skolesys,dc=org
        ldap group suffix = ou=Groups,ou=Samba
        ldap user suffix = ou=Users,ou=Samba
        ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers,ou=Samba
        add machine script = ss_hostmanager join_domain "%u" %D

        load printers = Yes
        create mask = 0640
        directory mask = 0750

        nt acl support = No
        printing = cups
        printcap name = cups
        deadtime = 10
        guest account = nobody
        map to guest = Bad User
        dont descend = /proc,/dev,/etc,/lib,/lost+found,/initrd
        show add printer wizard = yes
        ; to maintain capital letters in shortcuts in any of the profile
folders:
        preserve case = yes
        short preserve case = yes
        case sensitive = no

[netlogon]
        path = /home/netlogon/
        browseable = No
        read only = yes

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   path = /skolesys/jaegergaarden.dk/users/%S/.windows
   browseable = yes
   read only = no
   create mode = 0600
   directory mode = 0700

[profiles]
        path = /skolesys/jaegergaarden.dk/profiles
        read only = No
        create mask = 0600
        directory mask = 0700
        browseable = No