[Samba] ACLs and winbind

Thierry Lacoste lacoste at miage.univ-paris12.fr
Wed Aug 8 14:18:15 GMT 2007

I'm trying to allow XP clients to add ACLs in the homes share.
It appears that I'm unable to do it unless I use winbind
although I'm in a pure Samba/OpenLDAP environment.

I have a PDC and BDC with Samba/OpenLDAP
and a member Samba server with homes and profiles (below
is its smb.conf) on which I have Posix ACLs.
If I comment out the idmap lines I cannot add ACLs from XP
in my home share though. I can browse and pick domain users
and groups but cannot add them to the security tab of a file
in a user's home share.

Do I really need winbind?

Regards,
Thierry.