[Samba] New installation does not show on network

durwin at mgtsciences.com durwin at mgtsciences.com
Tue Aug 7 19:55:49 GMT 2007

Ever since installing Fedora 7, samba stopped showing the machine on the
network.  I can connect to it by entering the machine name (\\lazarus),
but it will not show itself from a Windows machine.  I tried a command
suggested to test if it was listening and this is what I got;

$ smbclient -L localhost -U%
Domain=[LAZARUS] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.25b-2.fc7]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        docs            Disk
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server Version
3.0.25b-2.fc7)
Domain=[LAZARUS] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.25b-2.fc7]

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------

Notice there is nothing shown under 'Server', 'Comment', 'Workgroup', or
'Master'.  Does this suggest anything?  In this case, the smb.conf was
directly from samba-guide.pdf.

# Global Parameters
[global]
workgroup = MIDEARTH