[Samba] Guest account access not working on Samba 3 with User modesecurity????

Mansell, Gary Gary.Mansell at ricardo.com
Tue Aug 7 14:44:40 GMT 2007

Hi,

I have a Samba server (samba-3.0.24-5.) that I have just transitioned
from Samba v2 to v3 and at the same time I have changed from share mode
security to user mode security.

I having problems allowing guest access to some of my shares on the
server. I have some shares (such as apps and cdrom etc) that I would
like to allow anyone to access - even if they do not have a login
account on the Samba server. This worked fine in share mode security but
does not seem to work in user mode security.

If a user (who does not have a login account on the Samba server) tries
to map a guest share, the user gets presented with a login dialog asking
for a password for the Guest account - how can I just allow access
without the user being asked for a password?

Here is my smb.conf including a guest only share for the cdrom.

Any help gratefully received

Regards

Gary

[global]

workgroup = DFGSRV
server string = dfgsrv Samba Server %v
printcap name = /etc/printcap
load printers = yes
printing = cups
cups options = raw
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 200
security = user
password level = 8
username level = 8
socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE SO_BROADCAST TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_THROUGHPUT
dns proxy = no
log level = 9
deadtime = 30
oplocks = false
level2 oplocks = false
encrypt passwords = no
idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
template shell = /bin/false
winbind use default domain = no
map to guest = Bad User

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = yes
   writable = yes
   create mode = 0664
   directory mode = 0775

[cdrom]
        path = /media/cdrom
        writeable = no
        browseable = yes
        guest ok = yes
        comment = dfgsrv CDROM Drive
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail from your system.Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Ricardo (save for reports and other documentation formally approved and signed for release to the intended recipient).Only Directors are authorised to enter into legally binding obligations on behalf of Ricardo. Ricardo may monitor outgoing and incoming e-mails and other telecommunications systems.
By replying to this e-mail you give consent to such monitoring.The recipient should check e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. Ricardo accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail. "Ricardo" means Ricardo plc and its subsidiary companies.
Ricardo plc is a public limited company registered in England with registered number 00222915.
The registered office of Ricardo plc is Shoreham Technical Centre, Shoreham-by Sea, West Sussex, BN43 5FG.