[Samba] Newbie Setup.

Grant Peel gpeel at thenetnow.com
Tue Aug 7 13:42:10 GMT 2007

Hi all,

Thanks for all the help sent to me on my previous email.

I have a working setup (apparently) using this configuration file:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 192.168.1.101 (192.168.1.101)
# Date: 2007/07/21 16:09:38

[global]
        workgroup = OFFICE
        server string = Home UNIX
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
        os level = 99

[homes]
        read only = no
        guest ok = no
        browseable = no

And a regular /usr/local/etc/samba/smbpassword file.

Again, All I am looking for is the ability to have my users map thier unix folder on my servers to thier Windows Explorer as another drive, again, that appears to be working.

A few last questions if anyone has time for them:

1. Are there any show stopper security risks I need to address with this type of setup?

2. How does Samba allow authenticating from the Samba file when it seems there is no (apparent) mapping to the master.passwd file?

3. For this simple setup, should I be adding any more Samba directives to the samba.conf file?

I can't believe it was that simple to setup...should it have been, or am I missing something that created a big security hole?

TIA,

-Grant

P.S. I AM reading all the howtos and Faqs and things!