[Samba] Problems with oplocks (samba 3.0.24, Kernel 2.6.17)

Helmut Hullen Hullen at t-online.de
Mon Aug 6 21:03:00 GMT 2007

Hallo, Ray,

rsa at rb-com.com meinte am 06.08.07 in Samba zum Thema Re: [Samba] Problems with oplocks (samba 3.0.24, Kernel 2.6.17):

>>> The Linux kernels 2.6.17 - 2.6.17.11 have a bug with kernel oplocks
>>> that hits Samba and shows your symptoms.
>>> A kernel update or "kernel oplocks = no" may solve it.

>> Kernel update seems not to help - on a school in the neighbourhood
>> my collegue had the "oplock" problems with Samba 3.0.22 and kernel
>> 2.6.21.5. Tomorrow we will know wether "oplocks = no" does help.

> Can anyone confirm if this bug existed in kernel 2.6.15-1.2054?  I'm
> having some weird slowness on a GB lan that doesn't exist with
> rsync/ssh, but does exist with an occasional 1-2 second delay with
> users retrieving files.

One of my collegues had a nice testing environment: the DOS game
"digdogs", lying in a ro share. 2 or 3 Clients could play it, the next
pupils saw a very slow net, and then (with 7 to 10 clients) the net was
dead. (not the net, of course, but samba transfer).

Switching "[global]" to
        oplocks        = no
        level2 oplocks = no

and all worked well.