[Samba] sam-fs and samba (copy while staging / timeout)

Flanders, Dean dean.flanders at fmi.ch
Sun Aug 5 18:10:50 GMT 2007

Hello all,

I know about the patch from Tobias Oetiker to samba that helps with the
handling of offline files by putting a little clock on them, etc.  I
also know about samnet, which we are testing.  However, I have noticed
another issue with samba and sam-fs integration, that is the file does
not start copying from samba to the client until the file is completely
staged (increasing the copy time).  This is a problem if a person is
copying large file, this can take awhile and then timeout on the Windows
client.

Ironically if I copy the file with cp on the Solaris box to the standard
file system, I see the file copying as it is being staged.  I can even
NFS mount another Solaris box, and I see the file getting larger as I
copy to the NFS share.

I spoke with someone from Sun Germany, and they stated that some
functionality is being added into samba 3.0.26 to better integrate with
sam-fs, but I am not sure if that is relevant.

So my questions are:
- Can I prevent this timeout error (without modifying users registry
settings)?
- Can I get samba to start copying the file while it is being staged?

Any help is appreciated as we just implemented the system and this issue
could be a show stopper.

Thanks!

Dean

Phone +41 61 697 5851
Fax +41 61 697 39 76
dean.flanders at fmi.ch
Maulbeerstrasse 66, 4058 Basel, Switzerland

Friedrich Miescher Institute for Biomedical Research
a part of the Novartis Research Foundation