[Samba] Newbie Question

Grant Peel gpeel at thenetnow.com
Sun Aug 5 15:13:31 GMT 2007

Hi all,

I am completely new to Samba. In fact, I have just installed it to a FreeBSD 6.2 developemnet server at my office and am reading all the info, FAQs, HowTos ect.

The Same sever is running and can connect to it using the SWAT interface.

My problem is I cant make any client connections.

My servers (4) of them are all running FreebSD 6.1 and 6.2, All I am looking to do is configure Samba to allow the clients to map thier home directory (on the servers) to thier local machine. There is no chance that the clients use the same Windows login name as we have assinged them on the servers. Each client has 1, and only 1, home directory on the server.

1. Is there a way that samba can authenticate using master.passwd and map the client to thier home directory? If so, can someone show me how?

2. If I must use the Samba passwd file, can someone show me how to configure it to map the client to thier home directory?

Right now, When I try to connect, after the username/password is entered, I am getting a Windows text box message saying I may not have access to the server I am trying to connect to.

Any help would be appreciated,

-Grant