[Samba] Samba doesn't work after upgrading

Bill Baker bill_chris at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 4 01:09:11 GMT 2007

I just upgraded my system to Fedora Core 7 from Core 6 and I find that
now Samba doesn't seem to be working for me anymore.  If I try to
connect from my laptop computer running Windows XP I just get one shared
folder that has only a few subfolders (probably because offline files is
turned on).  If I try to connect by using the IP address (\\192.168.0.5)
it tells me that it's not accessible and that the network path was not
found.  Additionally, I can't even browse the workgroup from this
computer.  I get "The server is not configured for transactions."

Next I tried connecting from my other computer, also running Windows XP,
that doesn't have offline files turned on.  The error that comes back
says "The Server service is not started."  If I try to connect by IP
address, it asks for a username and password then says "A device
attached to the system is not functioning."  I can browse the workgroup
from this computer.

I tried connecting to the Samba server from the computer it's installed
on.  When I type \\honestabe into Konqueror it gives me a list of shared
folders, but when I click on one it gives me "The file or folder
smb://honestabe/pub does not exist.

I have tried downgrading to the last version of Samba I was using and
even tried upgrading to the newest version on the samba.org website
(3.0.25b-3).  Nothing seems to work, and my smb.conf file hasn't changed
at all.  Both computers were able to connect before the upgrade.

My conf file: http://home.earthlink.net/~bill_chris/smb.conf.txt

The log file from my Linux computer seems to indicate my credentials are
bad, but I'm using the correct credentials:

[2007/08/03 15:22:45, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(928)
  Can't become connected user!
[2007/08/03 15:23:07, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(1003)
  '/home/bill' does not exist or permission denied when connecting to
[bill] Error was Permission denied
[2007/08/03 15:23:53, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(1003)
  '/cifs/pub' does not exist or permission denied when connecting to
[pub] Error was Permission denied

Here's the last few lines from the log.nmbd file:

  Samba name server HONESTABE is now a local master browser for
workgroup BAKER on subnet 192.168.0.5
*****
[2007/08/03 20:26:12, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:find_domain_master_name_query_fail(351)
find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name BAKER<1b> for the
workgroup BAKER.
Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.
[2007/08/03 20:41:15, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:find_domain_master_name_query_fail(351)
  find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
  Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name BAKER<1b> for the
workgroup BAKER.
  Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.
[2007/08/03 20:56:23, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:find_domain_master_name_query_fail(351)
  find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
  Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name BAKER<1b> for the
workgroup BAKER.
  Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.

If anyone can provide any help or insight into this, I'd really
appreciate it.  Google searches have proved fruitless and I've found out
nothing useful by running smbclient and nmblookup commands.