[Samba] maybe I should explain what i am after!

joop gerritse jjge at xs4all.nl
Fri Aug 3 19:07:33 GMT 2007

I have sent a few messages already, but perhaps I should start from the other
side, and give a clear indication of what I want to achieve. Well, here
goes...

I am working for a volunteer organization. They have quite a few Windows
workstations, most W98, and a few XPs (and, currently, one Vista). There is
one Linux server, running Samba, and holding all shares. It also acts as the
PDC, and all users can log in to it.

Now this server begins to be somewhat flaky, and I should like to add a second
server, initially to act as a BDC, then to take over the operation so I can
take down the current server and find out what' s wrong with it. Copying the
data is no problem (it is some 300G, so it took some time), but then?

I started just copying the smb.conf from the primary controller, and setting
the priority somewhat lower. I assumed that it would just lose the election
from the PDC, and still stay present, and available.

I am aware of the difficulties of keeping the user directories in sync; this
would, in due course, require LDAP, but for the moment I decided that the
user population is quite stable, so I just copy /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow
and smbpasswd over in the --rare-- event that a user is added or removed.

1. It is quite hard to even make the second controller visible. In fact, I had
to include a remote announce = <Ip address of PDC>/<workgroup name> line
before it even showed up in Network Environment. And I am quite unsure
whether this is the right way, it just worked, to some extent.

2. I am not sure whether the backup domain controller will function as such.
How could I be? If I take down the primary I might find out, but the server
is too critical for the whole organization to just try. How can I make sure
that a BDC will work without taking down the PDC?

3. And then there is the irregular behavior which I mentioned before.
Sometimes the host is visible, but the shares are inaccessible; sometimes I
can even get a view of the shares, but I cannot access them. In addition, i
have a far simpler configuration at home, where I can just read and write to
the shares. So I know it can be done, but what are the rules?

And I am no Windows expert. I know quite a lot about Linux, but the apparent
(lack of) logic in Windows baffles me.

That is the background. Maybe it helps to get the right answers. thanks in
advance for any attempts.

BTW I am quite happy with an RTFM answer, as long as it's accompanied with a
URL. I have read quite a few FMs, but so far without real enlightenment...