[Samba] Default User in netlogon share won't work

Server Gremlin servergremlin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 18:13:05 GMT 2007

Hi Samba List Users,

    I have a "Default User" folder directly in the [netlogon] share, and
for some reason new users who don't already have a profile (such as when
they logon for the first time) refuse to download it and use it as their
baseline profile.  Instead, they fall back on the "Default User" folder
on the local machine, or they just can't log on and receive an error
message if the "Default User" folder doesn't exist on the local machine.

    If I login as root, he DOES download and use the profile, even
though he receives a Windows error message right after giving his
credentials that says something about "DETAIL - Access is denied."  This
has lead me to believe that the problem is permissions based, but I have
done everything I can think of.  I've done a "chmod -R 777" on the
entire netlogon share, which naturally includes the "Default User"
folder.  I've also used the parameter "guest ok = yes" in the [netlogon]
share config in smb.conf and even set "writable = yes" just for
giggles.  When I created the profile on my XP machine, I remembered to
pick my domain name and allow "Everyone" to use the profile.

    I've read every bit of documentation I can find on this subject, and
I feel like I have a solid understanding of how I'm supposed to set it
up and how it's supposed to work.  Somehow it just...  won't.  Any
suggestions?

Thanks everyone,
- SG