[Samba] Testing roaming profiles

Alex Satrapa alex.satrapa at anu.edu.au
Fri Aug 3 05:41:43 GMT 2007

We have lost some profiles in our network due to Windows XP deciding
to use a local profile in one login (because it "couldn't find" the
server profile), then clobbering the server profile with the local
one on the next login. I'd like some way of testing this through a
non-interactive means, to emulate a dozen or so users logging in at
once and messing about with multi-gigabyte profile directories - in
the first instance to replicate the problem, and then to find some
means to stop it happening again.

Has anyone already written a tool (eg: script based on smbclient)
that completely emulates the Windows XP Professional domain login
process when using roaming profiles? I'd like to avoid setting up a
dozen Windows workstations and manually logging in to all of them
each time I want to test a failure scenario.

Alex

[content butchered due to Samba list's spam filter]