[Samba] Receiving SMB: Server stopped responding

Turbo Fredriksson turbo at dagdrivarn.se
Thu Aug 2 17:59:38 GMT 2007

    Josh> On 8/1/07, Turbo Fredriksson <turbo at dagdrivarn.se> wrote:
    >> I've upgraded to 3.0.25b, and I can't seem to get it running
    >> for more than a few minutes before it starts failing to find
    >> users...

And what makes things strange is that it doesn't seem to matter if I
disable the LDAP 'driver', and use a tdbsam instead. Same broken
behaviour (there it complains about 'Failed to find Unix account for
xxx')...

And no matter what configuration I try, it still locks up.

    Josh> Since system-level username resolution is failing, could you
    Josh> provide a bit more information on your system?  What OS?

Debian GNU/Linux Sarge (with some bits and pieces from unstable and
homemade OpenLDAP packages etc).

I tried removing all my samba packages, and install the Sarge
originals (version '3.0.14a-3sarge6') and there everything works just
fine. The weird part is that I've actually made my own version of that
package after trying a lot of version not working. That homemade (just
a recompile) didn't work either!

If I run my own package, I get about half a minute 'blackout' (or
'hang') before it starts responding and then it responds correctly
for a couple of minutes before it starts failing again.

So it's something in my build environment that's fucked it seems.

    Josh> I'm assuming from your smb.conf file that you're using
    Josh> nss_ldap (or something equivalent)?

Yes togheter with pam_ldap and pam_krb5. Works great.

    Josh> Is nscd running?

No, not even installed! I _HATE_ that thing! Every single time I've
tried using it over the years, login etc really fucks up! But I'll
give it a try any way while I wait for the 3.0.25b to build again
(this time I'm saving a full log of the build process which I will
have a look at after it's done)...

UPDATE: Dang, that actually seemed to work! Then the semi-question
        is why pre 2.0.24 worked without without NSCD (and if
        I should care - time will tell if NSCD is usable now).

    Josh> Is winbind running?

Yes. But I have to recreate the /var/run/samba/winbindd_cache.tdb
file before i start winbindd, othervise it won't start (and no
error or warning why not - not even with '-d9'!). But once that's
done, winbindd runs perfectly.