[Samba] "Failed to create Users" problem. PLUS further evidence

Felipe Augusto van de Wiel felipe at paranacidade.org.br
Thu Aug 2 12:41:44 GMT 2007

Daryl wrote, On 01-08-2007 18:05:
> Hi Felipe (and others),
>        Thanks very much for your help so far.

	You are welcome. :-)

> Felipe Augusto van de Wiel wrote:
>>>        Assuming that's true, how would I change things
>>> to get this problem to go away? Add some kind of group
>>> mapping or something? How does one go about doing that?
>>>
>> 	Did you checked the Release Notes? And the Samba
>> Official HOWTO about Group Mapping?
>
> I did check out the Release Notes, but I'm no samba
> expert so I didn't fully understand them. I will
> check out the HOWTO on Group Mapping later.

	Before 3.0.23, Samba automagically create some
groupmaps when you use tdbsam, after that, you need to
create them by yourself.

	The HOWTO has the specific commands, it is not
a big chapter and it is really relevant to read and
understand.

> I was hoping you (or anybody, really) had a quick way
> to get this done that didn't require me to do lots of
> research beforehand. Maybe somebody has come across
> and solved this problem before, and knew exactly what
> to do with say 1 simple command or something. Anyway,
> I'll look into it myself later.

	Unfortunately, Samba requires some understanding
of what's going on, in this specific case it is not one
line that will solve your problem, but a few of them and
there is not much point in repeating the docs here, this
part of the HOWTO is good and clear on what to do.

	You will use 'net groupmap'. And of course, you
need to have *nix accounts on the server that are mapped
by Samba to convert users from "Windows world" in real
users and permissions.

>> Probably because you are not login anonymously from
>> Windows. Anonymous logins are different from WinXP
>> logins, AFAICT.
>
>         Okay, I didn't know that. When I try as a
> specific user, I get the following:
>
> $ smbclient -L //www -U daryl
> Password:
> session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

	Ok, this is a user/password error.

	So, you are really missing the user or something
else related to permissions on the server.

>        When I check the log for that machine on the
> samba server, the log is filled with the same sorts
> of messages as the generic log.smbd (but what you see
> below is from "log.[worstation-name]"):
>
> [2007/08/01 15:03:06, 0] auth/auth_util.c:create_builtin_administrators(792)
>   create_builtin_administrators: Failed to create Administrators
> [2007/08/01 15:03:06, 0] auth/auth_util.c:create_builtin_users(758)
>   create_builtin_users: Failed to create Users
> [2007/08/01 15:03:06, 0] auth/auth_util.c:create_builtin_administrators(792)
>   create_builtin_administrators: Failed to create Administrators
> [2007/08/01 15:03:06, 0] auth/auth_util.c:create_builtin_users(758)
>   create_builtin_users: Failed to create Users
>
>        I also saw this at the top of that log file, which seems strange
> to me since I'm using tdbsam:
>
> [2007/08/01 10:06:10, 0] passdb/pdb_smbpasswd.c:startsmbfilepwent(241)
>   startsmbfilepwent_internal: file /var/lib/samba/private/smbpasswd did
> not exist. File successfully created.

	I will keep my hint, try to create the groups,
users and groupmaps and make sure that everything is
consistent (SIDs, permissions, shares, usernames, uids,
gids).

>         I tried increasing the log level to 10 before, and didn't see
> anything unusual beyond the errors reported already. I will try that
> again though, and get back to you.

	It is not just the error, but also when the error happens
and what happened before it.

>         Thanks again for the help.
> Sincerely,
>        Daryl.