[Samba] Active Directory

Josh Kelley joshkel at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 20:57:55 GMT 2007

On 8/1/07, Adriatik Allamani <aallamani at ert.gov.al> wrote:
> So. How can I organize and configure the Cent OS to use it as Active
> Directory Server, and to open all the existing users
> there, and then to shut down the win2000 Server and to Activate the
> CentOS as domain controller?
>
> I want to use Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.0.0. And Samba 4.0

Samba 4 is not out yet; the Samba 4 Technical Previews are not
recommended for production use.  I'm not aware of any docs or howtos
on how to migrate from Windows AD to Samba 4 AD.  (I *think* that I've
seen comments about the Samba team working to get full-fledged AD
replication working in Samba 4, which would mean that migrating to
Samba should be as simple as promoting a Samba 4 DC then demoting the
Windows DC.  But I don't know that Samba 4 can do that yet.)

Samba 3.x cannot serve as an Active Directory domain controller.  It
can serve as a NT4-style domain controller, but I suspect that you
would need to rejoin all of your computers to switch from a Windows AD
domain to a Samba NT domain.  If your Active Directory domain is still
in mixed mode, then I imagine that you could at least migrate users
using Samba's net vampire command
(http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/NT4Migration.html),
but it's not something that I've tried.

Josh Kelley