[Samba] samba performance metrics

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Wed Aug 1 14:28:30 GMT 2007

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, Scott Feldstein wrote:

> I am attempting to write a monitor to gather Samba Server performance metrics.
> I would like to get raw metrics directly from the server itself rather than a
> 3rd party tool.  Could anyone point me to docs or enlighten me on how to
> accomplish this?
>
> I am looking to determine the availability of the server (up or down), the
> number of files requested, any caching information available and anything else
> which would be relevant to determining the overall health of the server.

Only way I know of is smbstatus. If there was an interface to smbstatus
where one could pipe commands and you get the results I could use that as
a workable interface to connect "dstat" to a local samba server.

See:
	http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/dstat/

Sadly, forking smbstatus and grepping output for a few counters is more
work than it should be.

So I'm interested as well to learn how to get counters from samba, other
than smbstatus that is :)

Kind regards,