[Samba] Many STATUS_INVALID_HANDLE

Carwyn Edwards carwyn.edwards at bangor.ac.uk
Wed Aug 1 12:52:11 GMT 2007

I'm in the process of trying to track down the cause of frequent Delayed
Write Failures on our network. Most seem to be from database-like files
(e.g. firefox/thunderbird sqlite files) that are stored in the users
Application Data directory. The AppData directory in our case is on a
mapped network drive and excluded from the set of files copied back and
forth as part of the roaming profile. (See:
http://www.css.taylor.edu/~nehresma/samba.html - we do something similar).

The problem files are opened by the applications and held open for long
periods of time and periodically queried and written to. Note that
another common culprit is one of the various index.dat files in the IE
related History or Cookie folders. What seems to happen is that the SMB
connection drops off at some point before the Delayed Write Failure and
eventually a return status of STATUS_INVALID_HANDLE triggers the error
message when the application attempts to access the now presumably stale
handle?

 From the various network traces I've captured the STATUS_INVALID_HANDLE
is in response to a QUERY_FILE_INFO on the problem file. What's puzzled
me is that I'm seeing many STATUS_INVALID_HANDLE responses that don't
correlate to any visible errors on the client side.

Should we be expecting many STATUS_INVALID_HANDLE responses relating to
files in a network based roaming profile?

I'm collecting debug data at the moment to try and eliminate some
possible causes but thought I'd ask in case someone else has had this
problem? Is the problem really the dropped connections or the handling
of the dropped connections? Is there another possible cause for the
invalid handles?

Carwyn

--
Gall y neges e-bost hon, ac unrhyw atodiadau a anfonwyd gyda hi,
gynnwys deunydd cyfrinachol ac wedi eu bwriadu i'w defnyddio'n unig

This email and any attachments may contain confidential material and
is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s).  If you have
received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete this email.  If you are not the intended recipient(s), you
must not use, retain or disclose any information contained in this
email.  Any views or opinions are solely those of the sender and do
not necessarily represent those of the University of Wales, Bangor.
The University of Wales, Bangor does not guarantee that this email or
any attachments are free from viruses or 100% secure.  Unless
expressly stated in the body of the text of the email, this email is
not intended to form a binding contract - a list of authorised
signatories is available from the University of Wales, Bangor Finance
Office.  www.bangor.ac.uk