[Samba] Domain and local user permissions

Fajar Priyanto fajarpri at cbn.net.id
Wed Aug 1 01:32:03 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 31 July 2007 23:38:54 Julian Pilfold-Bagwell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a question regarding the seperation of domain and local permissions.
>
> I have a Samba PDC and BDC setup with three member servers
> authenticating from them. I've set all the boxes up to use nss_ldap for
> the Posix side so that all the groupmapping between domain and unix
> groups across the servers is consistent. All seems to be fine but I
> can't find any info about setting domain user permissions. When I create
> a folder or file, I can view the permissions in the Windows properties
> but these show the owner to be "Unix User\username" instead of "Domain
> User\username" in Windows. I can set the permissions correctly via
> Windows but pre Samba 3.0.8 (as shown in the docs), chowning a file in
> Linux would show as a change to the Windows domain account.
>
> Is MMC the easiest way to set domain user permissions with the new setup
> or can I do it easily from a Linux terminal.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Julian PB

Hello Julian,
I'm wondering exactly like yours.
I have setup an interdomain trust between Samba PDC and W2K DC. From W2K I can
easily setup sharing permission such as adding a user/group from Samba. But,
when I'm creating a sharing in Samba, I'm confused on how to do that from
CLI. Do you know the syntax?

Thanks.
http://linux2.arinet.org
08:32:02 up 1:19, 2.6.20-16-generic GNU/Linux