[Samba] Joining an 2003 AD

Don Meyer dlmeyer at uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 30 23:54:38 GMT 2007

At 04:39 PM 4/30/2007, Aaron Kincer wrote:
>You must make sure that the hostname set in /etc/hostname and what
>you have for your server string are exactly the same. At least
>that's how I fixed it. On Edgy 6.10/Samba 3.0.22, I didn't have to do this.

This behavior was introduced at the 3.0.23c level, IIRC.   (maybe
3.0.23b?)    That explains the version differences you are seeing.

The gotcha is that I get this failure despite attempting the 'net ads
join' with Domain Admin credentials...    (Even up through 3.0.25rc3)

-D

Don Meyer                                           <dlmeyer at uiuc.edu>
Network Manager, ACES Academic Computing Facility
Technical System Manager, ACES TeleNet System
UIUC College of ACES, Information Technology and Communication Services

temporary safety,
         deserve neither liberty or safety."     -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759