[Samba] winbind's libads/ldap_utils.c repeatedly says 'failed to reconnect (Timed out)'

Jonathan C. Detert Jonathan.Detert at msoe.edu
Mon Apr 30 21:19:49 GMT 2007

I'm repeatedly needing to restart winbind v3.0.22 on ubuntu server
v6.10.  The reason why is that it fails to get group info.  The passwd
info is still accessible; it just can't figure out what groups a person
is in.  I'm using idmap backend = ad , and winbind nss info = sfu.

Looking in /var/log/samba/log.wb-ADDOMAINNAME, I see many lines at
seemingly randomly time intervals that read like this:

[2007/04/30 04:30:16, 1] libads/ldap_utils.c:ads_do_search_retry(77)
  ads_search_retry: failed to reconnect (Timed out)

Are these lines related to my need to restart winbind?  Either way, are
they indicative of a problem that should be fixed?  If so, any idea how
to fix the probem?

Thanks,

Jon

Relevant smb.conf directives follow: