[Samba] Filenames coding after upgrade sometimes broken/messed up - RHEL 4 -> RHEL5

Götz Reinicke goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de
Mon Apr 30 15:33:51 GMT 2007

Hallo,

I recently installed a new server running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
with samba 3.0.23c. I coyied the userdata from the old server I nfs-mounted.

Now some directories and filenames show up broken or messed up (e.g.
instead of, "Martin, Vogth" it is something like MbGErr) mounted on
windows xp explorer and mac osx finder. local on the server the names
are correct listed (ls).

I haven't changed the smb.conf and I can't see anything concerning the
problem in the logfiles (loglevel = 5).

Any hints, idears or tips what to check are welcome?

Thanks and regards

Götz
--
Götz Reinicke
IT Koordinator

Tel. +49 7141 969 420
Fax  +49 7141 969 55 420
E-Mail goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de

Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg GmbH
Mathildenstr. 20
71638 Ludwigsburg
www.filmakademie.de

Eintragung Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRB 205016
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Dr. Christoph Palmer, MdL, Minister a.D.

Geschäftsführer:
Prof. Thomas Schadt