[Samba] Re: major cifs bug in 2.6.19+?

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 18:11:06 GMT 2007

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 16:52:30 +1200, Jason Haar wrote:

> Hi there
>
> (I've reported this to the linux-cifs list and received no response, so
> now I'm trying here)
>
> I just tried upgrading a CentOS-4.4 server we have from it's 2.6.18 kernel
> to 2.6.19 and then 2.6.20 - but in both cases it broke Linux cifs support.
>
> We have a Win2K3 server that needs to be mounted under Linux, and under
> 2.6.18 (or WindowsXP/etc), a particular directory is accessible using the
> particular account I'm using to mount it.
>
> However, under 2.6.19/20, listing the directory instead returns the parent
> directory's content!
>
> e.g. under Windows or linux 2.6.18
> "ls  parent"
> 1subdir/ 2subdir/ file1
> "ls parent/1subdir/"
> file2 file3
>
> under 2.6.19/20
> "ls parent"
> 1subdir/ 2subdir/  file1
> "ls parent/1subdir"
> 1subdir 2subdir file1
>
> Totally weird - totally BROKEN. Even weirder, if I use BASH's command line
> completion support, doing "ls parent/1subdir/1sub<TAB>" works, then works
> again, then actually shows the content of that sub-directory! (i.e. "ls
> parent/1subdir/1subdir/1subdir" shows what "ls parent/1subdir" should)
>
> I have seen this on this CentOS4.4 server running my own compiled version
> of a "pure" 2.6.20 kernel, and am seeing it on my FC6 workstation as well
> as a FC7pre3 laptop.
>
> Can anyone else confirm? This is a serious bug for us. Returning bogus
> data is majorly worse than even a crash... (we're supposed to be rsync'ing
> that data). We're sticking with 2.6.18 for the time being.

I have been using CentOS 4, CentOS 5 (with bug-fixed cifs.ko) as well as
FC4, 5, and 6 to mount Windows shares, but have never seen the behavior
you are experiencing.  I do use rsync to backup Windows files and it's
been working.  What do you see with:

cat /proc/fs/cifs/DebugData

Or, enable cifs debugging by:

echo 1 > /proc/fs/cifs/cifsFYI

and see if you can collect more info in the log.

Akemi