[Samba] Guide to porting to non-unix like systems?

Andreas Fredriksson deplinenoise at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 22:43:25 GMT 2007

Hi,
I'd like to get a rough idea on how much work it would be to port
Samba to a non-unix platform. My plan was to use a slimmed-down samba
to read and write files on a particularly unfriendly piece of
proprietary hardware we use at work. I'm fine with a minimalistic
samba as this port would be for internal, single-developer use and not
intended for file serving in general.

Here are some things I'm wondering about, given the background:

1) Is fork() required, or could it be emulated via threads?

2) Could nmdb and smbd share a single process w.r.t 1) or is even
possible to drop nmdb and just serve stuff slowly with a single smbd
process?

3) Is Samba very tightly tied to the POSIX file/directory APIs? My
intended target system has a rich I/O API (including async
capabilities and various bells and whistles) but the APIs are fairly
exotic and don't map well to e.g. DIR and file descriptors.

4) Is there a checklist somewhere of stuff a target system for
smbd/nmbd would have to support to make a port feasible?

Thanks,
Andreas