[Samba] Accessing files on a domain-controled network

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Fri Apr 27 03:29:51 GMT 2007

Steven Woody wrote:
> hi,
>
> i am new to samba and it seemed that samba documents mainly focus on
> how to setup a linux box as a samba server.  but i am now sitting in a
> linux box and looking for a easy way to access a shared file folder on
> a domain-controled network.  sorry for my no patience to read every
> part of the document since i have to let this job done in today.
>
> the shared folder is something like:  \\serverA\share, and if i need
> to access it from XP i need to login to our domain ( D ),  using my
> user name( U ), and password ( P ).  my task is to, do the same
> accessing from my linux box using same information above.  what do i
> do?
>
> thanks in advance.

Here's what I use to access a share. I don't have it mounted
automatically. Instead I type in mount /home/mnt/aux and I get prompted
for the password. You can remove the noauto and include a password in
the /etc/fstab file line for the share but that isn't exactly secure.

Note that the filesystem type is cifs. This is similar to smbfs but cifs
is maintained.  :)

//hyperzip/aux$                 /home/mnt/aux   cifs
noauto,user,rw,user=garydale   0   0

You can also look at authenticating against a domain controller for a
single sign-on. Check the samba.org howtos and by example documents for
details on how to do this. It's not supposed to be too tricky. I've just
never gotten to it.  :)