[Samba] Cups, Samba, Windows without login

Tobias Großmann lernelinux at tobias-grossmann.de
Thu Apr 26 05:58:38 GMT 2007

Hello,

for some new printers in our company we want to set up a samba server with cups. We use w2k and wxp as clients.
Because we want to make some of those printers public for open rooms we have some problems:

We use novell for some rooms and for other rooms an active directory. The Novell-clients use a local user account for login.
Every client should use the printers without insert a password, so we need to use the guest account.
I had set up the printers in cups and see them in the samba share. At next I have to login on the samba share from windows to install the server-saved drivers for windows. And this doesn't works...
Every time I insert \\ip-adress in windows I become access as guest. Then I have tried to connect with "net use z: \\ip-adress\printers", where you can insert a different login name for the share. But he doesn't accept this user... He asks for the guest password again and again and don't give an error.
So I don't know how I can make this work and so I want to ask for some help here. Does anyone use this set up and can give me some advise or how-tos.
As Unix-System we use debian etch.
Here is the configuration I already have:

[global]

   workgroup = my_workgroup
   server string = %h server
;   wins support = no
;   wins server = w.x.y.z
   dns proxy = no
;   name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast
;   bind interfaces only = true
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 1000
;   syslog only = no
   syslog = 0

   security = user
   encrypt passwords = true
   passdb backend = tdbsam

   obey pam restrictions = yes

   guest account = nobody
   invalid users = root
   map to guest = bad user
;   unix password sync = no
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .

;   pam password change = no
;   domain logons = yes
;   logon path = \\%N\profiles\%U
;   logon path = \\%N\%U\profile

;   logon drive = H:
;   logon home = \\%N\%U

;   logon script = logon.cmd

; add user script = /usr/sbin/adduser --quiet --disabled-password --gecos "" %u

   load printers = yes

;   printing = bsd
;   printcap name = /etc/printcap

   printing = cups
   printcap name = cups

;   printer admin = @ntadmin

;   include = /home/samba/etc/smb.conf.%m
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY

;   message command = /bin/sh -c '/usr/bin/linpopup "%f" "%m" %s; rm %s' &

;   domain master = auto

;   idmap uid = 10000-20000
;   idmap gid = 10000-20000
;   template shell = /bin/bash
;
;
;   winbind enum groups = yes
;   winbind enum users = yes

#======================= Share Definitions =======================

#[homes]
#   comment = Home Directories
#   browseable = no

#  writable = no

#   create mask = 0700

#   directory mask = 0700

#   valid users = %S

;[netlogon]
;   comment = Network Logon Service
;   path = /home/samba/netlogon
;   guest ok = yes
;   writable = no
;   share modes = no

# Un-comment the following and create the profiles directory to store
# users profiles (see the "logon path" option above)
# (you need to configure Samba to act as a domain controller too.)
# The path below should be writable by all users so that their
# profile directory may be created the first time they log on
;[profiles]
;   comment = Users profiles
;   path = /home/samba/profiles
;   guest ok = no
;   browseable = no
;   create mask = 0600
;   directory mask = 0700

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = no
   path = /var/spool/samba
   printable = yes
   public = yes
   guest ok = no
   writable = no
   create mode = 0700

# Windows clients look for this share name as a source of downloadable
# printer drivers
[print$]
   comment = Printer Drivers
   path = /var/lib/samba/printers