[Samba] Re: Linux with AD auth

Jonathan C. Detert Jonathan.Detert at msoe.edu
Tue Apr 24 18:24:59 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-24 at 13:45 -0400, Jean-Sebastien Pilon wrote:
> This is kind of a side question,
>
> Have you missed anything in using MS Services for Unix over some
> opensource solution ?

possibly.  I used mssfu soley in order to extend the msad schema to
include attributes that unix accounts need, like homedir, loginshell,
uid, and gid.

Using mssfu also means that Ms.Windows admins can view/set the 'unix
attributes' of a user object via the Ms.Win 'Active Directory Users and
Groups' gui app, which they're already familiar with.

There may have been better ways.

As it turns out, I don't use the mssfu supplied attributes that were
intended to record :

	loginname
	group membership
	group name

Instead, I use the cannonical msad attributes for those info items.

I think there might exist non-microsoft software to extend an msad ldap
schema to include posix groups and logins.  That option might be more to
your liking.

If u don't care whether or no the unix uid and gid are the same for the
same user on different boxen,

and

your unix user homedirs all have the same parent dir

and

your unix user accounts all have the same login shell

then

you don't need to mess w. the a.d. schema at all.  Instead, you can use
winbind and smb.conf macros specific to winbind to configure the
homedir, login shell, and uid/gid mapping algorithm.

In my case, the unix homedir is a f() of the the username and another
factor.  That preculded relying on the winbind template-home-dir macro.
So, I used mssfu in conjunction w. winbind.

hope that helps